Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

The opposition “has refused the Prime-Minister function”

The president Traian Băsescu has declared that he proposed to the Social-Democratic Party (PSD) leader, Victor Ponta, the Prime-Minister function.

The opposition “has refused the Prime-Minister function”
President Traian Băsescu.

Articol de Ionuţ Dragu, 20 Martie 2012, 07:21

The president Traian Băsescu has declared that he proposed to the Social-Democratic Party (PSD) leader, Victor Ponta, the Prime-Minister function, after Emil Boc has demitted, but the Social Liberal Union (USL) has refused the offer. Victor Ponta denies “the existence of a serious offer”.

The president Traian Băsescu has declared Sunday evening at a private television that the opposition has refused the Prime-Minister function that he had offered last week to the co-chairman of USL, Victor Ponta.

The president Traian Băsescu has specified that he proposed to the PSD leader, Victor Ponta, the Prime-minister function, after Emil Boc has demitted, but USL has refused this offer.
“But, for instance, I had the surprise to be refused, when I offered it within the negotiations on February the 6th, to USL, to Victor Ponta.”

“After Boc government has demitted, I proposed to Victor Ponta the Prime-minister function, from USL. Victor Ponta said nothing. Antonescu has answered and also the little one, how you name him, Constantin.”

“It was an offer at consultations. This is one of my important questions. Why Victor Ponta did not say “yes”?, declared Traian Băsescu, during an interview at B1 TV.

Traian Băsescu specified twice the fact that he has proposed Victor Ponta as Prime-Minister.
“The first time I did not receive an answer. The second time I received one”, declared Traian Băsescu.

The head of state handed to the show moderator the transcript of the meeting that he had during the consultations from Cotroceni with the USL leaders after Emil Boc has demitted.

The president has specified that, if the USL leaders will sustain that is did not happen so, he will provide both the audio registration of the discussion and also the transcript.
“I would have helped Ponta to make a cabinet”.

Traian Băsescu sustains that if the PSD president , Victor Ponta, had accepted his proposal, he himself would have helped him, with a national interest, to make a cabinet, adding that the Social-Democratic did not have the responsible behavior of a politic man.

“The proposal should not have been refused. Me, if I were Ponta, I would have said: “Yes, thank you. I have 10 days, according to the Constitution, to make my cabinet and also the program.”

“I would have gone to Parliament and if my cabinet had been voted , I would have ruled until the election. You cannot say, on the one hand, “Look how bad you govern” and, on the other hand, when the president tells you to be the Prime-Minister, you don’t answer yourself, let certain persons to answer. This is not the responsible behaviour of a politic man”, declared Traian Băsescu.

The president considered himself convinced that Victor Ponta would have managed to create a government in 10 days.

“Now it is easy to say, wise after the event – probably from a national interest –and I would have helped him to make his government.

“After what has been said, in front of many people, it was both my delegation and his –they were three leaders of parties –for me it would have been impossible, if he said “yes”, to say “yes, but I don’t want to”. I would have been totally compromised”, added the head of state.
Victor Ponta denies the existence of a “serious offer”.

The PDS president, Victor Ponta, the co-chairman of USL, categorically denies the existence of any “serious and official offer”, made to USL by the president Traian Băsescu, regarding the taking of prime-minister position.

“As response to the untrue and unserious accusations of the president Traian Băsescu, the co-chairman of USL, Victor Ponta, categorically denies the existence of any serious and official offer made to USL, by the president Traian Băsescu, during these consultations”, it is shown into a post on the official blog of the Social-Democratic leader.

The USL leader has declared that “we will see again how irresponsible is the president’s approach”.

“It never existed a clear and formal offer to USL regarding the taking of the prime-minister position.”

“The no of the Prime-Minister of Romania is not treated humorously, but in a serious way, respecting the Constitution and the official procedures”.

“I’m convinced that Romanian people will give their mandate to USL and we will have the chance to form the government, after the elections, with the support of a legitimate Parliament”, it is shown into the post on the blog of the Social-Democratic leader.

Translated by
Alexandra-Diana Mircea
MTTLC, Bucharest University


PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 16:56

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader

PSD leader, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu, said that he has given his resignation from the party's leadership to the...

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:17

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over and it is a day of reflection in the country...

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:16

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad

It is the second day in which the diaspora is voting in the presidential election and by 12:00 noon more than 60.000...

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects

Tulcea municipality will receive approximately 10 million euro for projects aimed at community development, both in terms of...

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists

Over 4.000 people need a transplant and are on waiting lists. These lists could be shorter and more lives would be saved if...

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:01

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security

Romania's decision to acquire the F-35 advanced fighter aircraft is an important step in the continued modernization of...

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:00

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency

Romania has enough natural gas stocks to get through the cold season, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu assured at the start of...

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
Changes to maritime strategy
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 00:30

Changes to maritime strategy

In Constanta, the Romanian Naval Forces are organizing the annual international conference on maritime security in the Black...

Changes to maritime strategy