Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

Roman-catholic Archbishop requires demolition of Cathedral Plaza

On Monday, the Court of Appeal in Suceava decided that the authorisation for the construction of a nine-floor office building near the ‘Saint Iosif Cathedral’ in Bucharest was illicit.

Roman-catholic Archbishop requires demolition of Cathedral Plaza
Cathedral Plaza building and ‘Saint Iosif’ Cathedral. Photo: Agerpres

Articol de Remus Rădulescu, 13 Iulie 2011, 08:57

According to the Metropolitan Archbishop in Bucharest, Ioan Robu, the decision made on Monday by the Court of Appeal in Suceava revealing that the authorization for construction was illicit should draw authorities’ attention upon the fact that they had to defend the patrimony.

Before this, both the designer and the real estate agent, who were in charge of the building project, showed that the decision was belated as the building had already been sold, had been partially given for rent to the new owner and registered in the cadastral register, as Mediafax announced.

The process that has lasted many years has been won by the Roman-catholic Archbishop in Bucharest.

The Roman-catholic Archbishopric in Bucharest said that justice proved that they were partially right.

He thinks that justice will be absolutely balanced when Court’s decision will be enforced by the state’s representatives so the nine floor building could be demolished.

The key-institution enabled to enforce the decision is Bucharest City Hall as the Archbishopric’s attorneys stated at the press conference.

The Bucharest City Hall attorney, Antonie Popescu, who also attended the conference, said that there were already pending some actions that the Mayorlaty must take in order to demolish the Cathedral Plaza building.

Millenium Building informed by a press release that this final and irrevocable decision has been belated as the building has already been registered and given for rent or sold.

The attorney of the Bucharest City Hall proved and reclaimed the aforementioned piece of information and stated that only the land on which the building had been constructed was registered while the building could not be because at a the process there were brought no papers to prove the legal construction authorisation.

The authorisation is illicit so the registration is not legally valid. As a consequence there is only the land registered in the land register.

The Roman-catholic Archbishopric representatives declared that with their lawyers’ help think of going further to the European Court of Human Rights if the Romanian justice does not give them right in order to get the authorisation for demolition of the nine-floor building which is under protection of the monument ‘Saint Iosif Cathedral’.

Translated by: Cristina Anamaria Maricescu
MA Student, MTTLC, Bucharest University

Financial Press Review, 5 July
News in English 05 Iulie 2011, 17:42

Financial Press Review, 5 July

Articles from the Bursa, the Ziarul Financiar and the Curierul Naţional.

Financial Press Review, 5 July
Calin Georgescu is the winner of the first round of the presidential elections
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 17:01

Calin Georgescu is the winner of the first round of the presidential elections

Calin Georgescu is the winner of the first round of the presidential elections. After counting 99.99% of the votes, he would...

Calin Georgescu is the winner of the first round of the presidential elections
Calin Georgescu, first in the diaspora as well
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 16:57

Calin Georgescu, first in the diaspora as well

The Permanent Electoral Authority has published the final results of the presidential elections abroad. After counting all...

Calin Georgescu, first in the diaspora as well
PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 16:56

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader

PSD leader, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu, said that he has given his resignation from the party's leadership to the...

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:17

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over and it is a day of reflection in the country...

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:16

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad

It is the second day in which the diaspora is voting in the presidential election and by 12:00 noon more than 60.000...

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects

Tulcea municipality will receive approximately 10 million euro for projects aimed at community development, both in terms of...

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists

Over 4.000 people need a transplant and are on waiting lists. These lists could be shorter and more lives would be saved if...

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists