Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

Recod fine for Romanian mobile network operators

The Competition Council levied a record fine worth 63 million euros to the mobile network operators, Orange and Vodafone, for abuse of dominant position. The companies stated that the decision wass unfounded and unjustified.

Recod fine for Romanian mobile network operators
Competition Council President Bogdan Chiriţoiu. Photo: Agerpres Archive.

Articol de Ionuţ Dragu, 16 Februarie 2011, 10:22

The Competition Council levied the highest individual fine since its establishment to the mobile network operators, Orange and Vodafone, for abuse of dominant position.

Competition Council President Bogdan Chiriţoiu stated that the individual fines were the highest the council had ever given, amounting to just over 3 percent of both operators’ turnover.

The fines are 34,8 million euros for Orange and 28,3 million euros for Vodafone.

Bogdan Chiriţoiu pointed out that the fines had been levied "because an investigation carried out between 2004 and 2006 showed that the two mobile network operators refused to grant the Netmaster company access to the mobile network for making national and international phone calls".

The Competition Council President explained that ‘the additional incomes that both companies have gained on the market are actually the additional expenses of the operators that made used the Vodafone and Orange networks. In other words, the final consumers paid larger charges.

Orange and Vodafone: The sanction imposed by the Competition Council is unjustified

Orange Romania stated on Tuesday that the decision of the Competition Council to fine Orange and Vodafone 63 million euros for abuse of dominant position was unfounded and unjustified and they would challenge the decision in court.

Orange Romania representatives said that the decision "is based on a misinterpretation of facts’, underlying that the company’s activity on the market had been done ‘according to the law and the competition regulations".

Vodafone Romania representatives also will challenge the Competition Council decision and stated that they "are surprised at and disappointed in" the council’s decision.

Vodafone Romania considers that "no action has been taken to prevent Netmaster Communications" access to the network for making international phone calls, pointing out that they would challenge the decision in court.

Bogdan Chiriţoiu underlined that the investigation regarding Romtelecom, the company that subsequently took over Netmaster, would be finished by the end of the year.

Moreover, according to the Competition Council President, investigations regarding the prepaid SIM cards and the Telecom market are being carried out, but the subject of these investigations has not been made public.

Chiriţoiu also stated that the investigations regarding the retail industry and the fuel market would be finished by the end of the year.

Translated by: Raluca Mizdrea
MA Student, MTTLC, Bucharest University

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 16:56

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader

PSD leader, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu, said that he has given his resignation from the party's leadership to the...

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:17

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over and it is a day of reflection in the country...

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:16

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad

It is the second day in which the diaspora is voting in the presidential election and by 12:00 noon more than 60.000...

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects

Tulcea municipality will receive approximately 10 million euro for projects aimed at community development, both in terms of...

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists

Over 4.000 people need a transplant and are on waiting lists. These lists could be shorter and more lives would be saved if...

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:01

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security

Romania's decision to acquire the F-35 advanced fighter aircraft is an important step in the continued modernization of...

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:00

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency

Romania has enough natural gas stocks to get through the cold season, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu assured at the start of...

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
Changes to maritime strategy
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 00:30

Changes to maritime strategy

In Constanta, the Romanian Naval Forces are organizing the annual international conference on maritime security in the Black...

Changes to maritime strategy