Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

Investigation at the Uricani mine

Investigators think that the most likely reason for the tragedy at the Uricani mine was a methane deflagration caused by an electric arc.

Investigation at the Uricani mine
The victims' families will receive dole money. Photo: Ilie Pintea

Articol de Ilie Pintea, 08 Februarie 2011, 10:04

The investigation panel that arrived at the Uricani mine started interrogating the 15 rescuers that went inside on Saturday night, since they were the only ones who saw the stope where the 5 miners lost their lives.

The second explosion might have wrecked a large part of the evidence useful for the investigation, like individual methane air concentration detectors, but this will be revealed only after the experts allow mine access.

Prosecutor Ioan Nicodim, who is presently leading the investigation, stated that the panel is trying to find out exactly what the rescuers found and specified that the period of investigation could not be calculated, because of the complex conditions of the investigation.

"We actually seek to find out the circumstances of the first deflagration."

"We shall see if the measurement instruments had been altered with. Don't ask for deadlines, because we can not specify any," said prosecutor Ioan Nicodim.

The investigators' working hypothesis is that the electric transmission line the five miners were working on caused the methane explosion.

"The most likely version is that the methane deflagration was caused by an electric arc," prosecutor Augustin Lazăr said.

The explosion "was caused by a malfunction"

Zoltan Lacatos, president of the Valea Jiului Miners' Trade Union, says the two consecutive bursts were surely not followed by a fire, which was confirmed by the carbon monoxide levels found.

Engineer Zoltan Lacatos, who worked for almost 20 years for the Uricani mine and led the sector, thinks that the methane might have come from a secondary gallery, but he is convinced the explosion was caused by a malfunction, and not by a colleagues' mistake.

"As far as I am concerned, I think the miners on the job worked very well."

"It couldn't have been their fault. I find it hard to understand, for now," said Zoltan Lakatos.

The Uricani mine will stay closed until next week, for security reasons, and the 800 employees will receive base salary plus seniority.

Dole money for the victims' families

The families of the victims will receive dole money from the National Coal Company, trade unions and the government; the five miners" funeral will be on Tuesday at Lupeni and Uricani.

Meanwhile, trade unions are trying to establish the sum for the victims' relatives, besides the 6000 lei compensation, according to the collective bargaining.

Also, the labor ministry is considering urgent compensation for the five families, but also a long term assistance package.

Local authorities have also announced that, in spite of limited budget, will give out compensation, and the mayor asserted he will consider tax exempt for the victims' families.

Sunday afternoon, five persons lost their lives in an underground mine explosion from Uricani, Valea Jiului. Most likely a methane accumulation was the reason for the tragedy.

A few hours later, the deflagration was followed by a second one; fortunately there were no victims this time.

Three Valea Jiului mines will be closed down

The Uricani accident comes at a time when there are debates on the future of mining.
Trade Union representatives have had talks with the IMF in Bucharest about mining overhaul, and the government decided on closing three pit coal mines, of the seven in Valea Jiului.

Since last year's end, unofficial nominalizations appeared about the mines that were about to be closed.

Paroşeni, Petrila şi Uricani were said to have been considered, the last two were the place of severe work accidents.

In September last year, almost 600 miners took part in a protest in Uricani, against the mine closedown, the main resource for the local budget.

In spite of the fact that in Valea Jiului it is believed that the mines will be closed for sure, the government keeps sending contradictory messages and fueling tensions in the area.


Translated by: Ciocănel Tudor
MA Student, MTTLC, Bucharest University

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
News in English 25 Noiembrie 2024, 16:56

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader

PSD leader, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu, said that he has given his resignation from the party's leadership to the...

PSD leader Marcel Ciolacu has announced he will step down as party leader
The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:17

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over and it is a day of reflection in the country...

The electoral campaign for the first round of the presidential elections is over
Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 17:16

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad

It is the second day in which the diaspora is voting in the presidential election and by 12:00 noon more than 60.000...

Over 60.000 Romanians voted at polling stations abroad
Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects

Tulcea municipality will receive approximately 10 million euro for projects aimed at community development, both in terms of...

Tulcea: €10 million for community development projects
Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
News in English 23 Noiembrie 2024, 00:40

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists

Over 4.000 people need a transplant and are on waiting lists. These lists could be shorter and more lives would be saved if...

Over 4.000 people on transplant waiting lists
US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:01

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security

Romania's decision to acquire the F-35 advanced fighter aircraft is an important step in the continued modernization of...

US Ambassador in Bucharest: F-35 airplanes will significantly contribute to Romania's security
The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 16:00

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency

Romania has enough natural gas stocks to get through the cold season, Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu assured at the start of...

The Government wants to reorganize the National Anti-Drug Agency
Changes to maritime strategy
News in English 21 Noiembrie 2024, 00:30

Changes to maritime strategy

In Constanta, the Romanian Naval Forces are organizing the annual international conference on maritime security in the Black...

Changes to maritime strategy